Minister of Transport, Mr Fikile
There was an air of expectancy as the new Minister of Transport, Mr Fikile Mbalula and Deputy Minister Ms Dikeledi Magadzi were welcomed into the department yesterday at the Indaba Boardroom.
Minister Mbalula in his speech affirmed staff members: “Department of Transport is a step child no more because the Prince of Luthuli House is here and that makes you (staff members) princes and princesses. You are important assets. We will make sure that you work freely and are not constrained.”
Amongst the key things that Minister Mbalula said he was tasked with implementing at the department was to:
- Improve accessibility and reliability of public transport
- Invest in rail transport for rail transport to be safe, integrated and to be the backbone of transport in the country
- To work with the taxi industry to make sure that they are safe and clean
- To invest in public transport infrastructure
- To ensure that freight is shifted from road to rail
“Let us hold hands and work together to ensure the prosperity of our country,” he urged staff members.
Deputy Minister Dikeledi Magadzi also did not beat about the bush in her welcome speech.
“We must fast-track and speed up service delivery because we owe it to South Africans. Transport is the anchor to make sure that we take South Africa to a higher trajectory. We need to make sure that the Minister succeeds. Let us support him in everything he does.”